While you could pop around to the store to buy a pint or two of ice cream, why not take a trip down memory lane to science class and make your own? Best of all - you don’t need an ice cream maker, just a couple of ingredients and some plastic freezer bags!
What you need:
- 1/2 cup Smith Brothers Farms Half and Half
- 1/2 cup Smith Brothers Farms Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bag crushed ice
- 1/3 cup coarse salt
- 2 pint-size resealable plastic freezer bags
- 1 gallon-size resealable plastic freezer bag
Pour the whipping cream, half and half, sugar, and vanilla extract into a bowl and whisk until mixed well.
Pour ½ cup of the cream mixture into a pint-size freezer bag, squeeze out any extra air, and seal tight.
Place this bag into another pint-size freezer bag and seal carefully.
Fill the gallon-size bag about halfway with ice and add the salt. Place the cream mixture into the large bag.
Wrap the bag in a towel to prevent cold hands and shake for about ten minutes or until the mixture starts to resemble soft-serve ice cream. (Pro Tip: This is a GREAT task for a kid!)
Remove the outer pint-size bag before opening the inner bag to avoid salty ice cream.
Transfer to a bowl and enjoy!
- If the ice cream hasn’t formed, add more salt and ice to the outer bag.
- Letting it sit in the freezer for thirty to sixty minutes allows the ice cream to thicken more.
- Customize the ice cream with your favorite toppings before or after shaking.