Just as we thought we left the sugar and desserts behind in December, February rolls around and tempts us with chocolate! We are challenging you this month to make a chocolate lava cake. These fluffy chocolate cakes have a molten center. Pierce your fork in one of these, a gooey fudge (the lava) oozes in
Yields: 6 cakes
- 1 cup (6 ounces) high-quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) Smith Brothers Farms unsalted butter
- 2 large Smith Brothers Farms eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 six-ounce ramekins
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Generously apply butter to each of the ramekins. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Chop the chocolate.
- Melt butter in
microwaveand add the chocolate to the bowl. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Combine eggs, egg yolks, salt, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in another bowl.
- Beat or whisk for about four minutes until it’s a light and thick consistency.
- Add the flour and melted chocolate. Gently fold to combine.
- Pour batter evenly into the ramekins about half way and bake for 8 -10 minutes. Look for a slight puff over the edge of the ramekin.
- Let sit for one minute. Invert the cakes onto a plate and wait for 10 seconds, then lift the ramekin.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
Did you treat your Valentine to a chocolate lava cake? How did it turn out? Share your comments below.