Do-It-Yourself Sundae Bar
Celebrate Valentine’s Day with the ultimate DIY sundae bar. Set out all your toppings, ice cream, bowls, and spoons, then scoop and garnish to your heart's content!
Sundae Bar Checklist
- Your Favorite Ice Cream (we love Molly Moon's pints!)
- Homemade Whipped Cream (see recipe below)
- Homemade Caramel Sauce (see recipe below)
- Hot Fudge
- Pieces of Seattle Chocolate Truffle Bar
- Chopped Nuts
- Rice Crispy Treat Topping (see recipe below)
- Keep a glass of hot water nearby for dunking your ice cream scoop in between portions. This makes scooping so much easier.
- To avoid fudge from dripping (like we did!), leave space between the ice cream and the edge of the bowl.
Homemade Whipped Cream
What you need
- 1 cup of Smith Brothers Farms Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp. of sugar, honey, or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Stand or hand mixer
Pour heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla into a cold bowl and whisk on high speed until medium-to-stiff peaks form (about one minute).
What you need
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp. Smith Brothers Farms Salted Butter, cubed, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Smith Brothers Farms Heavy Whipping Cream, room temperature
Pour sugar into an even layer in a large, thick-bottomed saucepan with high sides.
Heat on medium-high, whisking the sugar until completely dissolved. Plan on this taking about 10 minutes!
Once dissolved, stop whisking and allow the sugar to cook until it has turned to an amber color. This will happen quickly, so keep your eyes on the pan. Once the caramel has turned colors, remove from heat.
Add butter and whisk until combined. The mixture will bubble up, but keep whisking until all the butter has completely combined with the sugar.
Gradually add the heavy cream into the caramel while whisking, and continue whisking until everything is incorporated.
Cool for 20 minutes before serving.
You can store leftovers in a jar with a lid. It will stay good in your refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Rice Crispy Treat Topping
Courtesy of Molly Moon's
What you need
- 1-1/3 cups white chocolate
- 1 tbsp. coconut or vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Molly's Fave Sprinkles
Mix crisp rice cereal and sprinkles together in a medium-size bowl.
Gently melt the white chocolate and coconut oil together. You may either use the microwave in short 10-20 second bursts or use a double boiler. Whichever method you use, be sure to watch closely and stir thoroughly to prevent scorching.
Stir salt into melted white chocolate and immediately pour over crisp rice cereal and sprinkles. Use a firm spatula or wooden spoon to mix well, and break up any large clumps. Chocolate should set up very quickly.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.